Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rembrandt Exhibition at the Frick Collection In New York

Last week, while in New York, I went to the "Rembrandt and His School" exhibition at the Frick Collection. I first visited the Frick many years ago and fell in love with the intimate setting and beautiful collection. When ever I find myself at the Frick I make a point of spending some time with my favorite Rembrandt painting "The Polish Rider". This dark and ominous painting is unlike most Rembrandts and always gives one pause, thoughts about who the young man is and where he is going.

I was delighted to see "The Polish Rider" featured prominently in the exhibition along with three other Rembrandt paintings from the collection. As part of the exhibition there are numerous pen and ink drawings by Rembrandt and his students. The drawings are from the Lugt Collection in Paris.

I highly recommend a visit to the Frick at any time, but especially before May 15, 2011 when the exhibition closes. If you visit the collection make sure to spend some time in the permanent collection and take a few minutes to enjoy the lovely indoor courtyard garden. My cousin Diane's favorite painting is by Hans Holbein and it is a stunning portrait of Sir Thomas More.

Polish rider

"The Polish Rider" by Rembrandt, 1655, Frick Collection, New York.

Remb

Interior with a Woman in Bed, 1639-41, Pen and ink with wash, The Lugt Collection, Paris.

<no subject>

"Sir Thomas More" by Hans Holbein, 1527, Frick Collection, New York.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post about the current exhibit at the Frick! I too really love the Polish Rider, there is so much mystery in this painting.

    ReplyDelete